Monday, February 4, 2019

The Search for Inspiration

This blog, I’ll start off in a very unconventional way.  I had no clue of what to write about, so I Googled topics for a Real Estate Blog.  There were so many that I didn’t feel fit me.  I didn’t feel that they would represent me the way that I would hope.  Out of about one hundred or so topics, I found three that I hadn’t already thought about.  Of those that I had thought of, I didn’t feel that this was the right time to write about, for example, sports.  Many of the sports that I follow are over or aren’t starting until Spring and Summer.  I could have talked about NCAA Basketball, but I’d rather wait until March so I can talk about March Madness.  I’ve already written about playing winter kickball, but during the warmer months I play more sports, which lead to many interesting stories.  I just realized that, so far, I am writing a blog post about not knowing what to write about.   Interesting.  Google suggested writing about dealing with difficult clients, but I haven’t had one yet.  If any of you have suggestions on topics, don’t hesitate to let me know, and I’ll do my best to fulfill my self-imposed obligation.  I guess I can write about what I was planning on now.  An attempt to be inspirational. 
Inspiration, is “the process of being mentally stimulated to do or feel something, especially to do something creative, or a sudden brilliant, creative, or timely idea” (Oxford Dictionaries).  My latest bit of inspiration came from a fortune cookie that came with my dinner when I ordered Chinese food.  My girlfriend opened hers first and thought it should have been for me, we usually seem to get fortunes that fit each other better.  My fortune was “You will obtain your goal if you maintain your course.” This was a very timely fortune for me since I was wondering if I am doing anything wrong or if I needed to make a life change to reach my goals.  I know these fortunes are purely chance and random and not an actual fortune, but I got it at the right time.  Anything can be viewed as an inspiration.  The next morning, I didn’t want to get out of bed and go into the office, but I made myself, and am very happy that I did.  It allowed me to maintain the course that I have laid out for myself.  I know that I am putting in the work and am certain the good times will come.   But there are days when you feel like you are just treading water and/or stuck in the mud.  Now is a perfect time for the pitch.  If you know anyone thinking about making a move or who has a question regarding Real Estate, tell them to Call Matt for their Real Estate Chat.  Ok, back to the point now.  In the comment section, besides topic ideas, tell me what inspires you.
I try to post motivational posts on my social media daily, I think I’m going to start posting things that are meant to inspire.  If more people feel inspired to reach their goals, then the world should become a better place.  Here is a challenge to everyone out there, I challenge you all to inspire someone to be great, whether it be family, friends, co-workers, or even a random stranger.  Find a way to make the world a better place.  Writing this post has, honestly, inspired me to be better; to be a better person all around and to spread my happiness and motivation to those around me more. 
What do I find inspiring?  Hmm, seeing others succeed inspires me to work harder and to learn from them to pick up tricks that can help me be more successful.  Another is when I see someone who has been severely injured come back and regain the strength and capabilities that they worked so hard to achieve.  For example, when someone is thought to be paralyzed regains the ability to walk.  I don’t know how you could not be inspired when that happens.  In fact, seeing someone making the effort to overcome adversity in spite of all the obstacles is inspiring, regardless of their apparent success. It makes me feel that there is no excuse for me to just sit on the couch and watch TV; it makes me feel that I need to get out there and do something worthwhile.
You can literally find inspiration anywhere, from a poem, nature, online, people, possibilities, and even in yourself. 
A poem that I found inspiring:
A Smile 
Poet Unknown 

Let others cheer the winning man, 
There’s one I hold worth while; 
‘Tis he who does the best he can, 
Then loses with a smile. 

Beaten he is, but not to stay 
Down with the rank and file; 
That man will win some other day, 
Who loses with a smile.
If you are looking for inspiration from nature, go for a walk and attempt to zone out and just enjoy the sounds of nature.  Listen to the birds, listen to the water, and listen to the wind rustling the leaves on the trees.  Doing this can mentally reboot your system and can allow you to forget the obstacles that are pulling at you in life.  When you are online and are looking for some inspiration there are many places you could look.  You could watch a TED video and see how motivated the speakers are and how they are trying to help others succeed.  You could go to social media and search for the hashtag #inspiration.  This will bring you many posts other people have found inspiring.  Use it and take advantage of other’s inspirations.  When you are talking to those you love, ask them what they are grateful for or what they love most in life.  This will bring you closer together and find out what inspires them.  This could allow you to find ways to help them feel inspired in the future.  When they tell you what they are grateful for, try to mentally get in their shoes, and attempt to experience it from their perspective.  It’s a great way to gain inspiration in a new way that you may have not thought of before. 
One of my favorite ways to inspire myself is to create a bucket list of things that I want to do or achieve in life; there are some crazy things on my list that I’m not fully convinced that I want to do, for example, skydiving.  When I was doing research on what inspires people, I came across an idea of a way to get inspired, ‘submit your resume for a dream job.’  I do think that this could be inspirational, but it reminded me of one of my friends from college.  When he was applying for colleges, he sent an application to Harvard, just in case he would be accepted, but fully expecting a rejection letter.  He told us all that he applied just so he could frame and hang up the Harvard rejection letter.  I now think of that story in a different light, he was reaching for the stars to see if he could reach them.  Another way to find inspiration is in yourself.  I am, honestly, feeling inspired right now as I am writing this post.  I have disconnected myself from my other responsibilities and have fully immersed myself in my writing.  I need to do this more often.  Another thing to do, especially if you are feeling down, reflect on everything that you’ve learned and accomplished.  You will feel much better and realize that you are improving and making the right steps to achieving your goals.
What do I find inspiring?  I’ve been thinking about this the whole time I’ve been writing this post.  The biggest source of my inspiration is my family, starting with my parents.   They, literally, will do anything for my brothers and me.  When we are struggling, they will give us a shoulder to lean on, to cry on, to hug, and someone to talk to.  Starting out in Real Estate is a financial investment and since I decided to jump into the deep end with no other income, they have helped me out more than I could explain.  My brothers and I have learned that trait from them.  When any of us needs help, we don’t hesitate to offer to help, assuming we are able.  My girlfriend inspires me, she has set goals and is so determined to achieve them that she gets upset if she veers off the path.  She is very opinionated, which I find to be a great attribute as she has strong beliefs that she is very passionate about.  Somehow my dog even inspires me.  When we get home and he shows us absolute joy and happiness, it immediately puts a smile on my face and makes me envious of the pure joy he lives with.  When he is playing with his toys it takes me back to my childhood when I didn’t have a worry in the world and enormous dreams that I was certain that I was going to achieve.  The other people in my office inspire me with their willingness to help me achieve my goals and have experienced the same challenges that I am facing and have come out the other side and are achieving their goals.  There are so many more places where I draw inspiration and I could keep telling you about these things, but I know that I would just start (continue?) to ramble and not make any sense.
Here are a few things that inspire me and things that you could use to find inspiration yourself.  Find happiness and joy in your life that can help you achieve your goals and dreams.  Remember, dream big and find a way to get there.  I have many dreams, they have changed a little since I was a little kid, but I now know that I can achieve many of them, and I truly believe that I am on the right path to those goals.  This post has inspired me a lot more than I had thought it would.  It began with me not knowing what to write about and it turned into something special, at least for me.  I hope you enjoyed the read, and that you will accept the challenge to be someone’s inspiration.  Have a great day and let’s go see some houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SRES Consumer Newsletter - October 2020

  Consumer Newsletter – October 2020 US Edition; By Elyse Umlauf-Garneau www.sres.org Bes...