Monday, September 30, 2019

Finding Yourself, The Struggle


Well, that re-dedication to writing my blog sure didn’t last long.  Over this post, I hopefully will explain why that happened and what I have done to overcome the slippage and regain the control of my business.  Being a new REALTOR® is tough. Sure, some people come into the business with a bunch of people just waiting for them to get their license before they list their house or decide to buy a new one.  I didn’t have that. In fact, right before I got my license, I had numerous friends and family buy and sell houses.  I did the math and that would have been around $25,000 in my pocket right out of the gate.  Oh, how I would have loved that.  Don’t worry. I’m not bitter.  They didn’t know that I was going to become a REALTOR® when they signed their contracts.  I had to struggle through the mental ups and downs of finding my way.  I’ll admit, I got lucky when I got my first listing.  I was just sending handwritten letters to every expired listing in my area and actually got a bite.  After that, I had a friend looking to buy his first place which was also great.  It was then that I was feeling truly good about myself believing that I had finally become a successful REALTOR®.  But then it happened.
               After those two sales went through, I thought that I had finally found my stride and the listings and buyers were just going to keep coming. But no, these past months have been tough.  No doubt, I fought a little bit of depression and kept putting on a front that I was being successful but truly was feeling down about myself.  I had little to no energy and was turning to vices a little too much.  I ‘worked’ from home, but really, I had TV or movies playing on my monitor and was doing little things that I could that didn’t need too much attention or effort.  I stopped going to the gym, previewing houses, and effectively putting myself out there in order to gain business.  I went on one listing presentation, didn’t get it, and that put me further down in the hole.  I was still believing that the little things that I did in the very beginning that got me a single listing were going to help me make it in this business.  I believe that deep down I knew that I wasn’t doing enough but was in denial.  I know that I have lofty goals that I want to achieve, and I know that I won’t achieve them if I keep following the same path.  There had to be a change.
               I don’t remember the exact day, but there was a day where all this really hit me.  I knew I needed to make a change.  I literally just sat on my couch all day in thought.  I thought about what I was doing and what I needed to do to change.  It was then that I decided to take a long break from drinking alcohol.  I had a date in mind where I would allow myself to drink again, but in moderation.  That date was 40+ days away; I am proud to say that I made it that long and have since drank very little since then.  I was so strict with this that I wouldn’t even take a little taste of a drink that my girlfriend told me was delicious and asked me to try.  I’m not saying I was an alcoholic, but I feel that I might have been on my way.  I also went keto for a week, partially out of curiosity but mainly to stop myself from eating chips, one of my favorite snacks to eat throughout the day.  I also gave up sugar for that week, so I wouldn’t turn to candy.  That was mainly because I was drinking a lot of sweet tea during the day and I know how unhealthy that can be.  I already didn’t drink soda, or pop, so that wasn’t a challenge.  I surrounded myself with cheese and sausage and un-sweet tea.  Doing this little challenge invigorated me and filled me with more energy and improved my mood.  I’ll admit, that I need to give up sugar again, but all that Halloween candy is out and it’s so tempting and tasty.  I have still managed to stay away from sweet tea because I’ve realized that I don’t need it and regular iced tea is pretty good how it is, I don’t need all that extra sugar.  I did start going back to the gym for a while and then something happened where I stopped and need to get back into going again.  I’ll go today, I have to; I mean I want to, and I get to.  Doing all of this improved my mood and my outlook on life.  I took these steps to improve my personal life and now that my mood has improved and stayed improved, it is time to take the next step and improve my work life. 
               There are many things that I know that I need to improve at work to help me achieve all my lofty goals.  I know that I have the support and resources to allow me to achieve the greatness that I believe that I can achieve.  I found a new program, to me, that allows me to auto send emails to my SOI (What is this?) and track the touches of expired listings and FSBO’s that I want to work towards getting.  Since using this program, I am about to sign a new listing (As of the posting, the listing might be signed).  I have 4 future buyers that I am actively working with and more down the road.  I know that that won’t be enough., I need to add new business building activities to my daily routine.  There is one activity that I know is very helpful, but I really don’t want to do it, that is making phone calls.  I need to get over the fact that I hate it when people cold call me.  I need to reinforce the fact that if they are an expired listing or a FSBO, they are wanting to sell their house and it isn’t a true cold call.  I have been sending out letters and postcards to all of them, why not add another form of touch to their file and hopefully get that prized face-to-face meeting.  I have started holding Open Houses and previewing houses again, which has improved my spirit, except when the Open House has zero visitors.  Luckily for me I was able to watch the St. Louis Cardinals game on my phone during it. 
               I hope this post showed you what the potential struggles are when you are a new REALTOR®, but it is important to know that all experienced and successful REALTORS® have gone through these same struggles and have a wealth of information and strategies for getting out of the funk you might be in and help find ways to motivate you to get into successful and profitable habits.  It feels nice being back on the upswing of life.  I know that I was down for a while and needed to work my way through it.  I tried to keep it all to myself, but that only made things worse.  If it weren’t for the support of my family and close friends, I doubt I would have been able to get through this as well as I have.  I’m sure I will talk about other habits I am implementing to help me to achieve my goals.  Well, now that I have my REALTOR® mojo back, let’s go see some houses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

SRES Consumer Newsletter - October 2020

  Consumer Newsletter – October 2020 US Edition; By Elyse Umlauf-Garneau www.sres.org Bes...